In Mexican cuisine, tortilla is a flat, round cake made of corn or wheat flour used as a base for preparing various dishes. In Spanish cuisine, tortilla is made of cut potatoes and eggs with various toppings. We serve a proven wheat tortilla cake recipe. How to make a tortilla?
Wheat tortilla story
As a dish that conquered the whole of the modern United States (it is the second most-bought flour product after pre-packaged bread), of course, the tortilla has gone through the necessary path of evolution. They were primarily associated with the global popularization of wheat, which even in Mexico has already become the main raw material for the production of flat cakes. The effect is slightly different – due to the gluten content, wheat tortilla is softer, more elastic and easier to shape into larger, thinner cakes. Corn tortillas tend to be more fragile and tend to break.
How to make tortillas
- 300 g wheat flour
- 150 ml hot water
- a tablespoon of oil
- pinch of salt
- We combine flour, water, oil and salt. Knead quite long – about 10 minutes. Thanks to this, the dough is flexible. We form a ball from the dough, cover it with a small amount of oil, wrap it with cling film and leave it for half an hour.
- We divide the dough into 8-9 parts. We roll in successively (if necessary, sprinkle with flour) all the parts into thin round pies with a diameter of the bottom of the pan in which they will be fried. Alternatively, we can roll out pies with a larger diameter, and then cut the wheels with a mold or knife.
- Fry in a preheated pan with a non-stick coating for about half a minute on each side. We don’t use fat. Pancakes need to be fried briefly so that they do not crumble.
- After removing the tortillas from the pan, place them on a plate one on top of the other. Finally, cover them with a damp towel until they become perfectly soft. Thanks to this, the pies will not break during filling. You can store fried tortillas in the fridge or freeze – then remember to separate each cake with a layer of baking paper. Thanks to this, they will not stick to each other. Before serving, sprinkle the tortillas with water and reheat in a pan or microwave.
Tortilla filling: chicken stuffing
- 250 g chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- lettuce or chicory
- 20 dag small cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green cucumber
- a few tablespoons of mayonnaise
- small natural yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt pepper
- Mix yogurt with mayonnaise, salt, pepper and garlic squeezed by Prague. Cool the sauce in the fridge.
- Heat the tortillas according to the recipe on the packaging – set aside to cool a little.
- Chicken breast fillet cut into strips and fry in oil.
- Wash and cut all vegetables – thin peppers, slices cucumber, cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- Now just put the filling on the pies and fold. Bon Appetit!