Postgraduate Master’s Course “Peace and Security Studies”
Programme aims and objectives
- We offer you the possibility to obtain a “Master of Peace and Security Studies” after one year full-time study. The postgraduate programme “Master of Peace and Security Policy Studies” (M.P.S.) is conducted by the University of Hamburg in cooperation with the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy at the University of Hamburg (IFSH) and other scientific institutions and partners of the “Cooperation Network Peace Research and Security Policy” (KoFrieS).
- It is a trans- and interdisciplinary as well as practice orientated programme that combines academic study with fieldwork placements. The programme is designed for highly-qualified graduates and professionals holding a university degree. During the course participants will be introduced to the issues of peace and security policy.
- The aim of the programme is to equip students with a range of skills and provide them with expertise in the field of peace and security policy. The degree is particularly designed for those interested in a career in peace and/or security studies research and teaching or to those interested in working for national and international organizations, administrations, associations, and business (e. g. in the fields of peace-keeping, monitoring, verification, development aid, mediation, arbitration, conversion, administration).
- Interest in the field of peace studies or peace research and security-policy
- 240 points ECTS (usually a four-year course in any discipline)
- An honors degree from a German or foreign university
- Professional interest and scientific or practical experience related to issues of peace and/or international security
- Sufficient knowledge of English and German language. Language skills must be proven by: German: “German Language Examination for University Admission of Foreign Students” (Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studierender) (DSH), the examination “German as a Foreign Language” (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) (DaF), or any examination of equal value (B2/C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) are accepted. English: The TOEFL (230 points/ 570 paper-based) (www.toefl.org), the IELTS (5.5), the Advanced C, or any examination of equal value (B2/C1 of the CEFRL) are accepted. Only applicants who are German or English native speakers are not required to show proof of language proficiency.
More information about the programme and application procedure
- Please find more detailed programme information at: http://www.ifsh.de/IFSH_english/studium/mps.htm or on our website under FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions): http://www.ifsh.de/pdf/studium/FAQs%20EN_2010.pdf
- Applicants who have already procured a scholarship (e. g. a GAES scholarship, see http://www.daad.de/deutschland/foerderung/02055.en.html or from a (political) foundation, see FAQ) may also apply.
- Students can apply for a scholarship of the IFSH Association. Therefore students need to submit an extra letter of application (one page) in addition to the rest of the application documents. The assessment of the scholarship applications will be carried out by the board of admission.
- Online application form, a printed and signed version of which should be sent together with a photo via ordinary post
- Curriculum vitae
- High School Diploma /Leaver’s certificate qualifying for university (German “Abitur” or equivalent)
- Certifications of academic degrees; academic and/or professional recommendations will additionally be accepted, but are not required
- Certificates of English and German language proficiency
- Written acknowledgement of willingness to pay, assuming one’s application is successful, EUR 500.00 per semester as a contribution to expenses.
All certificates and other documentary evidence must be provided in German or English. Translations must be officially certified and sent in original. Only complete applications received on time will be accepted. The cover letter should be handed in with the complete post address, e-mail address, home number and cell phone number.
Deadline for applications for the academic year 2011/12 is March 15, 2011.
Please send your application to:
Kooperationsverbund Friedensforschung und Sicherheitspolitik Institut für
Friedensforschung und Sicherheitspolitik an der Universität Hamburg
Prof. Dr. Götz Neuneck
z. Hd. Frau Madeleine Köhler
Beim Schlump 83 D-20144 Hamburg
Please direct any inquiries to:
Naida Mehmedbegovi? Dreilich
Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy (IFSH)
Beim Schlump 83, D-20144 Hamburg
Telefon: +49 (0)40-866077-34; Telefax: +49 (0)40-866 36 15;