Overriding features of theFoundation's funding profile are the preference given to interdisciplinaryapproaches, support for young scholars, boosts for international cooperation,close interrelation between research, education and training as well asenhancement of the communication among researchers and between academiaand the public. Within this basic framework the funding initiatives areundergoing change all the time: Funding initiatives are terminated as soonas they have achieved their ultimate purpose of generating new impulses,thus creating new latitude and freeing funds for the support of new ideasand initiatives (see also: RecentlyEnded Funding Initiatives).
The Foundation's fundingprofile is reflected in the way its program is structured. There are fivecategories of funding initiatives according to area of investigation, targetgroup or funding instrument: Thematic Impetus, Societal Challenges, InternationalFocus, Support of Persons and New Structures, Off the Beaten Track – ExtraordinaryProjects.
For detailed informationplease click on the respective funding initiative.
Supportof Persons and New Structures
- Postdocsin Tandem: Program Supporting Cooperation in Transdisciplinary Projects
- Focuson the Humanities
- Symposiaand Summer Schools
- Knowledgefor Tomorrow. Cooperative Research Projects in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Callfor pre-proposals on "Political, Economic, and Social Dynamics in Sub-SaharanAfrica"
- Callfor proposals and pre-proposals on "Communicable Diseases in Sub-SaharanAfrica – From the African Bench to the Field"
- Callfor pre-proposals on "Resources, their Dynamics, and Sustainability – Capacity-Developmentin Comparative and Integrated Approaches"
- Callfor Pre-Proposals on "Violence, its Impact, Coping Strategies, and PeaceBuilding"
- BetweenEurope and the Orient – A Focus on Research and Higher Education in/onCentral Asia and the Caucasus
- Documentationof Endangered Languages
- ComplexMaterials: Cooperative Projects of the Natural, Engineering and Biosciences
- InnovativeMethods for Manufacturing of Multifunctional Surfaces
- NewConceptual Approaches to Modeling and Simulation of Complex Systems
- Interplaybetween Molecular Conformations and Biological Function
- Unityamidst Variety? Intellectual Foundations and Requirements for an EnlargedEurope
- FutureIssues of our Society – Analysis, Advice and Communication between Academiaand Practice
- EuropeanForeign and Security Policy Studies
- Bridgingthe Gap: Welfare State Transformation
- StudyGroups: Migration and Integration
- InnovationProcesses in Economy and Society
- KeyIssues in the Humanities – Program for the Promotion of Interdisciplinaryand International Cooperation
Offthe Beaten Track