THE ILLINOIS PROGRAM FOR RESEARCH IN THE HUMANITIES AT THE UNIVERSITYOF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN WELCOMES APPLICATIONS FROM ALLDISCIPLINES AND DEPARTMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY WITH AN INTEREST ININTERDISCIPLINARY AND HUMANITIES-INFLECTED RESEARCH TO REFLECT ON THEBROAD TOPIC OF "BEAUTY."
The IPRH will appoint one external post-doctoral Fellow for 2006-07.The Fellow will receive $35,000 for the year as well as a $2,000research account. The Fellow will be invited to teach one course basedon his/her current research and writing, and to participate in theyearlong interdisciplinary seminar coordinated by the IPRH inconjunction with the annual theme, "Beauty."
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
* Applicants will have completed all requirementsfor the Ph.D. degree by December 1, 2005.
* Applicants must have two or more years of teachingexperience; teaching done as an advanced graduate student counts towardthe fulfillment of this requirement.
* Fellows must spend the full academic year inresidence at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, engaged inresearch and writing, and will teach one course based on theirresearch. Fellows are required to live within 15 miles of the IPRHduring the academic year of the award.
* NOTE: This is an external post-doctoralfellowship; current full- and part-time UIUC faculty members areineligible for the award.
Two complete sets of the following application materials (arranged inthe order indicated below) must be postmarked on or before November 23,2005. All submissions must be single-sided. Electronic or faxedsubmissions will not be accepted.
* A curriculum vitae
* A project title and a one-page (200-300 words)abstract, followed by a detailed statement (2,500-3,000 words) of theresearch project that the applicant plans to undertake during the termof the fellowship. In the narrative statement, please indicate thenames of the three colleagues who will be writing letters in support ofthe application.
* A brief (two-page) proposal, including a tentativesyllabus, for a graduate/advanced undergraduate course related to theapplicant's research. The course would meet two hours per week for onesemester (fifteen weeks); enrollment will be limited to twentystudents.
* Two papers or scholarly articles. All submissionsmust be in English. Do not submit books.
* Three letters of recommendation from seniorcolleagues who are familiar with the applicant's work and the proposalbeing made to the IPRH. Letters of recommendation should includeevaluation of the applicant's proposed research as well as the overallquality of the applicant's work. Letters should be sent directly to theIPRH and must be postmarked no later than November 23, 2005.
* NOTE: Deadline extensions will not be granted. TheIPRH will consider only complete application packets. It is theresponsibility of each applicant to ensure that all documentation iscomplete, and that referees submit their letters of recommendationbefore the closing date.
SEND APPLICATION MATERIALS AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION TO:
Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program
Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
805 West Pennsylvania Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801
QUESTIONS CAN BE ADDRESSED TO ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR CHRISTINE CATANZARITE AT (217) 244-7913 OR firstname.lastname@example.org.
FELLOWSHIP AWARDS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON OR ABOUT FEBRUARY 1, 2006.